I love a good Waldorf salad and have been enjoying this all week as I ended up making a couple of batches in an effort to have a freshly made batch to photograph while it was still somewhat light outside.
Broccoli is a fabulous winter vegetable as it is great for boosting our immune and detox systems. Just a single cup provides more than your daily need for vitamin C. And vitamin K. As well as a balanced supply of B vitamins – all of which help support our immune function as well as healthy energy levels. Broccoli also boosts the body’s natural detoxification systems, and is packed with detox enhancing compounds that fight to protect and keep our cells healthy and young looking. Bring it on, winter!
I like to lightly steam my broccoli for literally no more than just 3 minutes, before chopping it up for this salad. I like it better this way, but if you prefer raw that’s great too! The savoury cashew dressing is a favourite of mine, and works just as well with sunflower seeds. I love making a double portion of this dressing to have handy in my fridge for other salads. It’s that delicious – and a little similar to my vegan caesar dressing.
|Winter Broccoli Waldorf Salad|| |
- 2 heads of broccoli (about 600 gm) raw/lightly steamed and then chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 3 handfuls rocket leaves
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- Handful raisins or ¼ cup (or dried cranberries)
- Handful walnuts (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup cashews (or sunflower seeds)
- ¼ cup water (omit if pre-soaking the nuts/seeds)
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- Lightly steam broccoli (3-4 minutes max) and then chop finely before placing in a large bowl.
- Add chopped celery, rocket leaves, onion and apples and mix well using a spoon.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Add more salt + pepper to taste if needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and combine well until evenly distributed.
- Finally add raisins and walnuts on top before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.