I love this warm quinoa salad with the fresh touch of antioxidant laden pomegranate seeds, fresh herbs and crunchy toasted pine nuts. It’s perfect for making ahead of time as it keeps really well in a sealed container in the fridge. For lunch, I often pair this quinoa salad this with some sautéed kale or fresh arugula/spinach leaves and top it off with a few extra seeds and feta cheese for a completely satisfying and nutritious lunch that takes just minutes to prepare! No major time requirements needed here. Just a little planning ahead is all it takes.
I know quinoa may be a newer grain for some of you and I have included instructions for how to cook the perfect fluffy quinoa in the recipe below too. Cooking the quinoa correctly is the key to a delicious quinoa salad and this method applies to all the different varieties of quinoa you’ll find (red, black + white). Although the darker ones may require a slightly longer cooking time.
I love adding tahini to my quinoa as it adds an amazing creaminess. Tahini is ground sesame seeds – think peanut butter but made from sesame seeds – and is one of the richest plant sources of calcium. Just 2 tablespoons packs 126 mg calcium – or in straightforward language – 13% of your daily need (read more about plant-based sources of calcium here). It’s an amazing staple ingredient to have in your fridge and is easily one of my favourite healthy pantry staples (check out this post for more info on healthy pantry staples).
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) dry quinoa
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 1-2 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp tahini
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- handful chopped fresh coriander
- small handful pomegranate seeds
- ½ avocado
- small handful toasted pine nuts
- Place dry quinoa and add 1 cup boiling water in a pot with a lid over high heat and let the quinoa boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pot covered with a lid for an additional 10-15 minutes until all the water is gone and the quinoa is soft and fluffy in texture.
- Add tamari, lemon juice and tahini to the pot of cooked quinoa and stir well using a spoon.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl and add chopped coriander, pomegranate seeds and toasted pine nuts.
- Garnish with avocado before serving.
I absolutely love seeing all your recreations. Please keep sharing them with me via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using #nyoutritious.