Aubergine parmigiana is a great vegetarian meal to add to your weekly dinner rota. And its a perfect example of a meat-free meal that is full of flavour, interesting and made with really normal ingredients. While it’s a great weeknight meal, you can also dress […]
This plant based “Mexican” meal is a family favourite in our house. I say “Mexican” because I really don’t know how to cook proper Mexican, but this is me trying, hoping the flavours are at least close to deserving of the title. Ha! More importantly, this is a meal packed full of nutritious vegetables + flavourful spices, and literally takes only minutes to prepare and make. It’s great served for family dinners where everyone sits down together and assemble their own wraps and dig into the toppings. And even for casual evenings, this is always a great last minute meal idea that is both easy and healthy.
We love using lettuce leaves in place of wraps. However, the filling is also great used in tortilla wraps, topped with salsa and then baked for a vegan fajita-like meal. But the beauty of it is that you can serve it however you prefer, and top off with your personal favourite toppings. For the kids, I usually serve it in bowls mixed with brown rice, which is a great way to ‘hide’ the guacamole. They don’t normally like the look of avocado, so whatever works, right?! I love seeing them eat avocado, and always feel super smug when I manage to sneak it into their dinner without them knowing. And a couple of crushed corn chips on top always helps too.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 3 bell peppers cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- salt + pepper
- 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
- large handful fresh coriander
- 1 can black beans, rinsed + drained
- Romaine lettuce leaves (in place of wraps)
- Avocado or guacamole
- Tomato salsa
- Green salad
- Brown/black rice
- Fresh lime juice
- On a hot pan, sauté onions in the oil for a few minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and give it a quick stir.
- Add chopped bell peppers + all the spices and leave to cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or so until the bell peppers soften.
- Add corn + black beans and stir. After a couple of minutes, and once the beans are hot, add coriander and any extra spices, if needed. Give it thorough stir and remove from the stove.
- Serve the filling warm in either in romaine lettuce "wraps" (or wrap of your choice) and top with your favourite toppings, such as guacamole, rice, salsa & leafy greens.