Healthy breakfasts + on-the-go snacks are by far the most requested recipes I get. So here you have it… Superfood Flapjacks. These are the perfect solution for busy mornings where there is little to no time for prepping breakfast. And they’re full of nutritious and satisfying whole foods that help set you up for a healthy start. I love having these on hand and they’re one of my favourite healthy alternatives when I feel like something sweet to go with my morning espresso.
Nutritionally these superfood flapjacks are super rich in fibre, which helps keep blood sugar levels healthy and stable while also promoting healthy digestion. They are also rich in protein and nourishing fats, a wide variety of essential minerals, including zinc and magnesium, as well as B vitamins, all of which are key for healthy energy production. Nutrients that are all ideal for getting you off to a good start in the morning.
- 8-10 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 gm (1 cup) organic quick oats
- ¼ cup (30gm / 1oz) almonds, sliced or chopped
- ¼ cup (30gm / 1oz) sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup water
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- small handful dried fruit - I used dried currants (OPTIONAL)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Grease a square baking tray and line with non stick parchment paper (I used a 18 x 18cm (7x7") tray).
- Combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with ¼ cup water, stir and set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor* (I used a vitamix) blend together dates, egg whites, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, seeds and almonds, baking powder, salt, dried fruit and cinnamon (if using) and mix well.
- Pour the date mixture from the blender over the oat mix and combine well using a spoon. Add the chia seeds, which have thickened to a thick gel-like consistency. The dough should be slightly wet and sticky.
- Scoop the mixture into the lined baking tray and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Place tray in a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from oven and remove from the baking tray to cool on a cooling rack (cool for about 15 mins before cutting into it).
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve warm or cold.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.