Nothing says superfood quite like spirulina. Praised as one of the most potent green powders and packed with nutrients and antioxidants, spirulina has long been known and consumed for its health benefits. Unfortunately, it is really hard to enjoy as it isn’t the most palatable powder hanging around. However, spirulina offers some of its benefits when applied topically as well (yay!). Hence why this superfood face mask is one of my faves and why I think it’s going to be a hit for those of you who love experimenting with natural skincare products.
Beauty Benefits of Spirulina
- It is an amazing source of potent and beautifying antioxidants.
- It is rich in chlorophyll, which helps cleanse and strengthen the skin.
- It can help the skin retain moisture, promoting healthy skin elasticity that prevents the formation and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- It has soothing and calming effects, which is great for those with sensitive skin prone to redness and irritation.
Castor and coconut oil penetrate deep into the skin, which leaves your skin subtle and hydrated. These oils also helps to promote the production of elastin and collagen, which can help delay the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while giving your skin a more youthful appearance. They are amazing for sensitive skin and have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties too.
I like to add a few drops of essential oils, which helps give it great scent. Lavender oil is especially great for calming and balancing the skin and can help reduce redness and minor irritations.
|Spirulina Face Mask|| |
- 1 tsp organic spirulina
- ½ tsp castor oil
- ½ tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until completely smooth.
- Apply to your skin and leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and a cloth.
It takes only minutes to mix together and is best when used right away. I aim to do this once a week and usually leave it for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.