This salad is inspired by one of my amazing friends who always cooks the best aubergine dishes. Being from Morocco, she never fails to inspire me with her delicious and exotic combinations. And this one is no exception! The combination of grilled aubergine, mango + fresh coriander is wildly delicious and perfect for summer.
This recipe features soba noodles, which is one of my pantry staples. Originally from Japa, soba noodles are made from 100% buckwheat. Naturally gluten free, these noodles are earthy in taste and have a low GI (minimal impact on blood sugar), as well as a lower calorie and carbohydrate count compared to regular spaghetti, making it a delicious and healthy alternative to refined wheat varieties. They are rich in plant based protein, fibre, and amazing for the digestive system as they are full of prebiotic benefits, encouraging a healthy gut flora. Be mindful when purchasing buckwheat noodles though, and always read the ingredient list, as you’ll find that lots of brands claiming to be “buckwheat noodles” use primarily wheat (corn or rice) with only a small percentage of actual buckwheat! So look for soba noodles made from 100% buckwheat for the healthiest option.
|Soba Noodle Summer Salad|| |
- 150 gm (5 oz) soba noodles
- generous handful fresh coriander
- handful fresh mint leaves
- handful rocket leaves
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small mango, cut into pieces
- 1 aubergine, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper
- fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Cut aubergine into medium sized pieces, brush with olive oil and place on a roasting tray. Bake until golden brown and soft (approximately 15 mins)
- Rinse soba noodles infold water and place in a pot with boiling water. Boil for about 5 minutes until soft. (do not salt the water as this can make the noodles more sticky). Once done, rinse the noodles in cool water and set aside in s strainer.
- Chop the herbs and mango and combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the aubergines are done, leave to cool for a few minutes before adding. Add the buckwheat noodles and dress the finished salad with fresh lime juice and salt + pepper before serving.