These salmon patties are a personal favourite when it comes to fish dishes. They’re super simple, packed with healthy protein, fatty acids, fresh herbs and great flavour. And they’re perfect served on bread, in a bun on with a side of fresh summer greens.
As the recipe notes, you can add a couple of tablespoons of oats or chia seeds if you find the patty mixture too wet and if its not sticking together properly. I normally do not need this even if the mixture is wet but the option is there. Simply add the oats/chia seed and let the mixture stand to rest for a few minutes, allowing some of the moisture to be absorbed. These patties also store really well in the fridge or freezer and lasts up to 3 days in the fridge.
|Wild Salmon Patties|| |
- 300 gm wild salmon (fresh or canned)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallot onion (or ½ spanish onion)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large organic free range egg
- 2 heaped tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (alternatively you can use coriander)
- 2 heaped tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp organic Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp gluten free oats or chia seeds (optional - to use if mixture is too wet)
- 1 tsp coconut oil or butter for pan frying
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon. Leave the mixture to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Melt a little coconut oil or butter on a warm pan and scoop up the patty mixture and place on the pan in small round patties. (if you find your mixture is too wet to do this, add 1-2 tbsp oats and let rest for a couple of mins.)
- Place the salmon patties on the warm pan and fry over medium heat until cooked through (about 5-7 mins on each side until you can easily flip them around without breaking them).
- Serve warm with a salad, baked sweet potato or as a patty in a burger/sandwich.
I recently connected with the team over at Primal Palate and now have the privilege of being one of their contributors. For those of you who are not familiar with Primal Palate, it is a great resource for anyone who follow a paleo diet or simply loves to eat healthy. They have an abundance of amazing recipes (all free from grains and refined sugars), as well as a great online & mobile meal planning tool that allows users to browse all their recipes, upload their own personal recipes and use these to create weekly meal plans and automatic shopping lists.
To get started, simply create your own free account on www.primalpalate.com and download their free mobile app, MyKitchen. If you’re new to Paleo or curious about what it is, they also have some great information on why the Paleo way of eating is beneficial to our health.