The holiday season can be a challenging time to stay healthy but this year, after having a baby in the summer, I am trying my best to steer clear of too much sugar and be healthy as ever. After much experimenting in my kitchen I made these raw chocolate coconut balls, which have become a new favorite treat. They are naturally full of wholesome nutritious ingredients and are great for the holiday season and a healthy & wholesome alternative to chocolate and other sugar laden Christmas confections.
With raw unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened coconut, flax seeds & almonds they make a satisfying snack full of fiber, healthy fats and protein. They only take 15 minutes to make and keep well in the fridge.
Recipe goes here…
Raw Chocolate Coconut Balls
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsweetened coconut, grated
- 3/4 (180 ml) cup finely chopped raw almonds or almond meal
- 1-2 tbsp organic agave or honey
- 3 tbsp raw unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 tsp organic flax seeds
- 2 tsp organic chia seeds
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water. Enough to make mixture a thick paste you can easily form and roll into little balls (add more if needed)
- 3 tbsp hemp protein powder (I like to use Manitoba Harvest from Whole Foods. You cannot taste it and it makes them extra filling!)
- Optional: 2-3 tbsp rum (this is a new thing I tried for my Christmas batch and it is brilliant! Adjust water content accordingly)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together thoroughly until it forms a firm sticky dough. Form little round balls and refrigerate before serving.
NOTE – To mix up the look, you can roll the balls in coconut or chopped almonds while they are still moist.