Raw Chocolate Brownies
Raw chocolate brownies with all the rich flavour, but minus the mad sugar rush and other processed ingredients. These brownies are vegan, gluten, grain and dairy free and the perfect way to naturally satisfy a sweet tooth. You can make them as large or small as you prefer and store them in the fridge or freezer depending on how hard and cold you like them.
The raw cacao is what gives them that rich chocolate flavour, and is also an ingredient that supples powerful antioxidant benefits, which help protect our body cells from ageing and various different diseases. The walnuts, which contain the highest amount of omega 3 fats of any other nuts, are important for our health as they help facilitate the production of hormones and feel-good transmitters, like dopamine and serotonin, which helps support memory and overall brain function. These healthy fats are also amazing for our skin, hair & nails, and can help prevent ageing and other skin disorders.
- 150 gm (about 20 dates) soft pitted dates
- ¼ cup (30 gm) raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp water
- 150 gm (1½ cup) walnuts
- 30 gm (1 ounce) pistachio nuts, shelled
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Place walnuts and pistachio nuts in food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Place dates, cacao powder, sea salt and water in food processor and process until it reaches a thick sticky consistency.
- Add the walnut and pistachio mixture and process for about a minute until well combined. You should now have a thick cake crumb like mixture that easily sticks together. (if it doesn't hold together well, add another tsp of water and process again).
- Transfer brownie mixture to a bowl and add the chopped hazelnuts. Combine with you hands.
- Press the mixture into a square tupperware or glass bowl, making sure it is even in thickness.
- Place in the freezer or fridge for at least 30 mins before serving as the brownies are much easier to cut when cold.
- Cut into squares and drizzle with cacao powder and hazelnuts. Serve with coconut cream and/or fresh berries.