Pistachio + Almond Stuffed Dates
For as long as I can remember, homemade confectionary has been a Christmas tradition in our family. I am determined to continue this tradition and this year, these pistachio stuffed dates will most definitely be on our Christmas confectionary table. The salted pistachio + almond mixture paired with the sweet medjool dates is simply divine. Add to that a hint of orange and a little dark chocolate, and you have a truly amazing and all natural Christmas candy that is ridiculously delicious and cosy to make. For smaller bites, you can halve the dates completely and stuff them like little boats.
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp orange zest (OPTIONAL)
- sea salt to taste (I used around ¼ tsp)
- 30 gm (1 oz) dark chocolate (I used a 70% dark)
- extra coconut to decorate
- Place the pistachio nuts and desiccated coconut in a small food processor and process until chopped finely, but not quite as fine as a nut flour.
- Transfer the pistachio mixture to a small bowl and add almond flour, honey, orange zest (if using) and salt. Combine well using a spoon or your hands.
- Use a hand to press the mixture together in small clumps. If they mixture is too crumbly and does not stick together, add a little more honey or almond butter.
- Slice open the top of the dates in a lengthways cut and stuff them with the pistachio mixture, using as much or as little as you like.
- Next melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave).
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the dates, followed by a sprinkle of coconut.
- Place the dates in the fridge, allowing the chocolate to harden.
- Serve and enjoy.