Cold winter mornings call for hot bowls of creamy porridge. This porridge is so much creamier and nutritious than regular porridge made on just water or milk. It is full of plant based omega 3 & 6 fats, calcium, protein and iron, all of which are key nutrients needed for healthy energy levels and wellbeing.
So where’s the calcium? As I explained in my recent post on plant based calcium, chia seeds, almonds and even cinnamon are all good sources of plant based calcium. Even better, these are also full of satisfying fibre, protein and healthy fats, all of which promote a healthy digestive system and keep you full all throughout the morning. And as far as the toppings, you can add any of your favourite nuts/seeds and fruit (stewed, dried or fresh) and change it with the seasons to keep it interesting. Grated apple is super delicious as well and is perfect for coming into Spring.
|Nutritious Winter Porridge|| || |
- 40gm (1/2 cup) organic porridge oats - also known as quick oats (gluten free if needed)
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) boiling water
- 1 generous tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (or you can use stevia or a mashed banana to sweeten instead)
- Top with chia seeds, almonds, a little honey & cinnamon
- Place oats in a bowl and add the hot water. Stir well using a spoon and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up.
- Add almond butter, coconut oil and honey or banana if using and combine well.
- Top with toppings of your choice. My favourites are chia seeds, almonds cinnamon and a little honey.
- Serve warm.