I’m writing this from the rooftop of a hotel in Barcelona, Spain, completely bedazzled by the beauty of the old buildings and Mediterranean vibe that I just love so much.
Anyway, a few months ago I posted my healthy nut & seed bread, which received so much amazing feedback from you all (thank you!!). I realise that a healthy bread option is really key for people when trying to changes ones diet, eat healthier and avoid or decrease the processed foods, particularly grains. So I have been playing with a slightly different version – completely free from yeast, wheat,, dairy & gluten – making it suitable for different those with different intolerances as well as those who prefer to go easy on the grains and opt for low carb alternatives. While no-grain breads can be found in some speciality stores, there is something very empowering about being able to make your own (especially if it isn’t labour intensive!) and this one is a really simple bread to make and doesn’t call for many odd ingredients either! It’s truly as simple as mixing all the ingredients together, letting it sit for a bit and then baking.
The only carbohydrate this bread calls for is a very small amount of buckwheat flour – a fantastic substitute for common wheat grains. Despite its grain sounding name, buckwheat is not a grain but a seed closely related to the fruit rhubarb. Nutritionally, buckwheat is particularly high in magnesium, manganese & fiber as well as tryptophan – a mood boosting, sleep enhancing amino acid that also helps regulate our appetite. If you can’t get your hands on a buckwheat flour, you can easily grind your own buckwheat groats in a blender/coffee grinder.
Adapted from this recipe
- 80 gm (1/2 cup) flaxseed
- 100 gm (3/4 cup) sesame seeds
- 100 gm (3/4 cup) sunflower seeds
- 100 gm (3/4 cup) pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds + extra for topping
- 6 tbsp psyllium husks (5 tbsp if using psyllium husk powder!)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) whole grain buckwheat flour
- 350 ml (1½ cup) water
- Combine all seeds, psyllium husk, buckwheat flour and sea salt in a bowl and mix well
- Add olive oil and water and combine very well until the mixture becomes a thick dough
- Let the dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, allowing the husk seeds to absorb the moisture and make the dough thick.
- Line a bread form with non-stick parchment paper and transfer the dough to the form. The dough should be thick and easy to form with your hands.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and press gently into the top of the bread.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 160°C (320°F) for 30 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the form and bake it for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the parchment paper and leave to cool before cutting into it.