Loaded Root Vegetable + Turmeric Soup
This is a healthy and versatile plant based weeknight meal that is easily made in 30 minutes. I love that I can make this and serve everyone, including my 13 month old baby. When I first made this I initially set out to make a kids dinner, but it has since become a bit of a staple weeknight meal that we all enjoy. While I keep the toppings for the kids fairly simple (quinoa, basmati rice, chickpeas, green peas, chopped spinach), it is easy to spice it up with interesting toppings that add flavour and texture. Harissa spice, quinoa and fresh coriander are a few of my favourite toppings, and I have even used this soup as a base sauce for a curry which was delicious and a great way to use any left overs.
Nutritionally this soup is full of nutrition and rich in powerful antioxidants, especially from the colourful root vegetables, turmeric + ginger. Because root vegetables grow underground, they absorb a great amount of nutrients from the soil and are packed with a high concentration of antioxidants, Vitamins C, B, A, and iron. They are also rich in healthy complex carbohydrates and fiber, which make you feel full and help regulate your blood sugar levels and digestive system.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger (optional)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 large carrots (300 gm)
- 1 large sweet potato (300 gm) or butternut squash
- ½ head cauliflower (200 gm)
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Handful fresh coriander
- Topping suggestions: fresh coriander, harissa spice, cooked quinoa/rice, chickpeas.
- sauce onion in coconut oil until soft and translucent.
- Add vegetables stock, carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower & spices and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add coconut milk leave to simmer for an additional few minutes until all the vegetables are completely soft.
- Transfer to a high speed blender (make sure your blender can tolerate hot contents!) or use a handheld stick blender directly in the pot.
- Blend until soft. Add the fresh coriander, harissa spice and any other toppings, then serve.
If you’re wanting to read more about how to cook the perfectly fluffy quinoa, check out this recipe.