Lentil + Hemp Protein Hummus
Homemade hummus is amazing, versatile, full of nutrition and can be used as a dip + spread + filling, or however you like it. Basically, it is something I make a lot, and while I love my classic hummus recipe, I have over the years experimented with many many different types of hummus to mix it up and keep and interesting. This recipe is one of those experiments, and one I keep coming back to. It is a little different from the classic hummus in that it’s made with green lentils and hemp seeds instead of chickpeas. This means it has a much higher protein content and makes it a great and easy way to add a healthy amount of plant based protein to your daily diet.
Hemp seeds are a nutritional powerhouse, and great for our skin and hormonal balance. This is primarily due to their beneficial composition of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), particularly omega 3 fatty acids, but also GLA, which is a necessary building block for some prostaglandins — hormone-like chemicals in the body that help maintain proper hormonal balance as well as control inflammation and support other vital body functions. Hemp seeds have also shown to be particularly beneficial for skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis, again due to their amazing fatty acids.
While hemp seeds contain 35 gm protein per 100 gm, green lentils packs more protein than most other legumes with 22 gm protein per can, making them another easy to come by, and cheap plant protein. All in all, a jar of this hummus contains upwards of 46 gm protein, making it a great and very healthy protein source to have on hand, ready in your fridge.
Some of my favourite serving suggestions…
- Spread on top of a toasted piece of bread and topped with sliced cucumber (for a gluten free and very low grain bread, check out my buckwheat and seed bread)
- As a dip for a colourful crudité platter
- Served with my Chia Seed Crackers for a super nutritious and filling snack that is high in fibre, healthy fats + protein.
- As filling in small gem lettuce leaf wraps.
- 1 can (240 gm drained) green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 45 gm (1/4 cup) hemp seeds (shelled)
- 2 heaped tbsp (approx. 40 gm) tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Top with pinch paprika and parsley
- place tahini, salt, lemon juice and water i food processor and blend till smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for a couple of minutes until well combined.
- Season with extra salt/pepper/garlic if needed, scrape down the sides and process again.
- Once done, transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.