I absolutely love herbal teas and I believe very strongly in their ability to make a difference to our overall health. Herbal teas can improve your digestion, boost detoxification, help curb our sweet tooth, calm us down and help us recover from sickness. Here I want to share a few tips on how to maximise the health benefits out of your herbal tea.
“Herbal teas can improve your digestion, boost detoxification, help curb our sweet tooth, calm us down and help us recover from sickness”
The secret to a powerful herbal tea is to buy a good one and brew it the right way. Tea is a bit like food – quality matters! There is the food in its natural state and then there’s the nicely packaged processed food, which is often void of any original goodness. `when it comes to tea, this means that the processed teabags with dust-like tea inside are more than likely void of any original aroma & nutritional value. Meanwhile, the whole leaf teas are the very best choice and well worth the price difference. These teas have whole or slightly broken down pieces of leaves & stems and are often not bagged but instead bought as a loose tea. When buying a chamomile tea, for instance, you want it to be the heads of the dried flower buds – not a dust-like powder. These teas are full of uncompromized health benefits, and aside from having a higher content of vitamins, minerals & antioxidants, they also contain the fragile essential oils, which are responsible for the medicinal properties of herbal tea. These are the teas that can truly make a difference to your health and improve your overall wellbeing.
“Covering your tea while steeping it helps preserve these oils that otherwise easily escape in the steam, rendering the herb useless”
After buying the right tea, brewing it right is just as essential. It all goes back to the beneficial essential oils. These oils are fragile and need to be preserved as best possible. Covering your tea while steeping it helps preserve these oils that otherwise easily escape in the steam, rendering the herb useless. A very simple, yet very effective tip.
5 Tips To Maximize The Benefits Of Your Herbal Tea
- Buy an organic whole leaf herbal tea in your local health food store or a quality tea shop.
- Make a whole pot of tea and use a tight lid to cover while steeping. Any tea pot with a lid or French press tea maker is good as long as it is covered up.
- Let your tea steep for 10-15 minutes to maximize the health benefits of the herb.
- Get a good tea cup infuser tool. This infuser spoon is on my to-buy list at the moment.
- Remember that herbal teas have medicinal properties and some of them can interact with certain medications. Check with your health care provider before taking any new herbal teas if you are on medication and if you are pregnant or nursing.