I always find that summer weather leaves me craving light summer foods, such as fresh crunchy salads and raw vegetables. Though I love all forms of vegetables and salads, I enjoy them much more when they are served with some sort of dressing, oil or vinaigrette and always find that a good dressing can completely transform an otherwise bland bunch of green into a tasty salad by adding exciting flavors that makes you go back for more. This creamy ranch yogurt dressing is a longstanding favorite of mine. It is inspired by my mother, who always makes the most delicious yogurt dressings that she serves with vegetables, potatoes, cold pasta dishes and all types of grilled meats & seafood.
Though my mother’s original dressing recipes call for crème fraîche and fromage frais, I chose to go for an organic goat’s milk yogurt, which is a nutritious and easier to digest alternative to cow’s milk products. I find that the goat’s yogurt works so much better in savory dishes and it makes a perfect base for this flavorsome dressing and pairs well with the fresh chives, lemon & garlic.
This dressing is very easy to make and a healthy alternative to regular ranch dressing, which is loaded with mayo, hydrogenated oils and other processed and unhealthy and artificial ingredients. It is a good source of vitamin D & calcium and is loaded with gut-friendly probiotics, which promote a healthy digestive system.
I like to keep a jar in the fridge and aside from using it on salads I also use it as a dip for raw veggie sticks and with grilled salmon, which is so delicious – especially when adding fresh dill.
|Goat Yogurt Ranch Dressing|| |
- ½ cup (120 ml) plain organic Goat's yogurt (or yogurt of choice)
- 2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp flaxseed/extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey (or a few drops stevia)
- 1 crushed garlic clove (or ½ tsp garlic powder)
- ½ tsp seal salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp water (omit water if a thicker consistency is desired)
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- Combine all the ingredients, except the chives, in a small bowl and whisk together until well combined
- Stir in finely chopped chives and combine well
- Serve as salad dressing, with grilled meats & fish or use as a dip for veggie sticks