Healthy Breakfast Cookies
These healthy breakfast cookies are delicious, easy to make and great for kids anytime when you’re on the go. Made from whole foods like oats, pea protein, hazelnuts and sweetened with raw banana, these cookies are free from butter, flour and refined sugars and are a perfect solution for a quick breakfast or mid-morning snack on busy mornings where there’s little to no time for breakfast prep. They have a healthy balance of complex carbohydrate, protein & fats to help keep you full for longer as well as keeping your blood sugar levels in check, decreasing the likelihood of cravings and overindulging later in the day.
I like ton add a scoop of unsweetened hemp protein to make them extra filling, but this is completely optional. I usually opt for hemp or pea protein powders as they are 100% plant based but any unsweetened protein powder will work, so feel free to use what you like.
A couple of important things to consider when looking for a good quality protein powder: go for a product that is made from 100% natural, non-GMO ingredients and has no added fillers or artificial colors or sweeteners.
- 1 1/2 cup organic porridge oats
- 1/2 cup (apx 75 gm) hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 ripe banana (approx. 150 gm)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened protein powder (I prefer hemp or pea protein powder – but this ingredient is optional)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp water (if or as needed)
- 3 tbsp chopped dates (raisins or dried cranberries work as well)
- Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C
- Combine oats, banana, protein powder, honey, coconut oil, baking powder, salt, & vanilla in a bowl and mix well by hand or using a wooden spoon
- Add chopped hazelnuts & dried cranberries. Mix well and add water as necessary to get a sticky dough that doesn’t crumble
- Scoop our small round balls of the cookie dough with a spoon. Place on parchment paper and use a wet spoon or wet hands to flatten and smooth our the cookies
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 mins until golden brown (they should still feel slightly soft when you take them out, and they will harden up when cooled)
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before serving