I love the simplicity of this healthy grain free vegetable quiche. It is packed with sneaky “hidden” vegetables, including zucchini, leeks & spinach and can literally be served anytime of the day whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. I call it a quiche but as you look through the ingredients you’ll notice the lack of puff pastry – a typical quiche ingredient that is not helping anyone get healthier or slimmer. Instead you’ll have a healthy low calorie quiche full of satisfying protein and nutrients, such as B vitamins, selenium, vitamin C & choline, to mention just a few. I promise you won’t even miss that crust.
The recipe that inspired me to make this was this Bacon & Gruyere Egg Casserole I came across a few days ago while looking through some recipes on Pinterest. I loved the idea of a crust free quiche and it looked so good I had to give it a try… (on side note, Megan’s blog here is full of amazing, healthy recipes).
Naturally, I added a bunch of vegetables, left out the bacon (you could easily add some) and went for goat’s feta as I love the taste and find it a lot easier on my digestive system. For a paleo friendly twist, omit the goats cheese and sprinkle a few pumpkin on top instead. I have also tried adding cooked quinoa, which works really well and gives it a bit more substance.
My three favorite serving suggestions…
- It makes a great addition for a breakfast/brunch served with hot crusty bread & butter.
- Serve it cold for lunch with a side of mixed leaves salad with a home made balsamic vinaigrette or on top of a piece of my healthy nut & seed bread.
- Add 1/2-1 cup of cooked quinoa and some lean organic bacon to the mixture and serve it warm for dinner with a side of steamed green beans.
(Inspired by this recipe)
|Grain Free Vegetable Quiche||
- 250 gm crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup leeks, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil or organic grass fed butter
- 1-2 garlic clove(s), crushed
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 5 organic pasture raised eggs
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- sea salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 oz goats feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 175c/350F and grease pie dish with 1 tsp coconut oil or butter.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter in a skillet and saute chopped onion, garlic & leeks until golden brown. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the sliced mushrooms with a little added sea salt for approximately 3 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Transfer onion and leek mixture & mushrooms to a large bowl and add shredded zucchini, spinach, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Whisk eggs together and pour over the vegetable mixture. Combine with a spoon and pour into the greased 9″ overproof pie dish.
- Sprinkle goats cheese and pepper on top and bake in a preheated oven set to 175C/350F for 30-35 minutes. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.