There are so many good, yet so bad-for-you varieties of granola out there. Many of them (including a lot of the marketed “healthy” ones) are pretty much sugar – or worse yet, high fructose corn syrup – with a side of oats, some dried fruit and nuts.
This granola consists primarily of a mix of chopped nuts, seeds and coconut flakes and is completely free of sugar and grains. It is crunchy and a nourishing and filling alternative to store-bought granolas and is rich in healthy fats and plant-based protein, which will keep you satisfied all morning. This granola is also great for those who travel a lot and makes a great on-the-go snack on its own or drizzled over a small tub of yogurt for a filling breakfast idea when you’re away from your kitchen.
- Serve with unsweetened Organic Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt and fresh fruit
- Serve with chilled coconut or almond milk
- Enjoy it on its own as a healthy on-the-go snack
- Sprinkle over blueberries or peaches and bake for a simple & healthy crumble
- Use as topping for baked apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with a little yogurt or fresh cream
|Grain Free Granola|| || |
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup almond flakes
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- pinch sea salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 4-5 drops liquid stevia or 1 tbsp natural sweetener (honey, coconut sugar, xylitol etc.)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean or extract
- Set oven to 150 C (300 F).
- Combine all the nuts, seeds and coconut in a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs white, vanilla bean/extract, coconut oil, sea salt and stevia/honey until it becomes slightly fluffy.
- Pour egg white and coconut oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well (don't be afraid to use your hands to make sure all the nut mixture is covered.
- Spread out the granola mixture in a semi thin layer on a piece of non stick parchment (note: it is important that the mixture is somewhat even in thickness as this will prevent certain areas from burning while other parts coming out too soft).
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake at 150 C for 7-10 minutes until the granola is golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove from oven and turn the granola over to ensure all of it gets cooked.
- Bake for another 4-7 minutes until all the granola is golden brown in colour. Make sure to keep a close eye on it during the last minutes to prevent it from overcooking.
- Remove from oven again and leave to cool completely before breaking apart the larger pieces of granola to the size you want.
- Store in an airtight container.