I’ve spent the past week in one of my favorite cities in the world, New York City. Known for many many things, New York has it all, including its own style of pizza. Large, thin-crust, half-sloppy NYC style pizza is one of those things people associate NYC food with. And home to the first ever pizza establishment in the United States, I figured this city would be the perfect place to introduce you to my favorite pizza, aka. my healthy take on thin crust pizza. Not sloppy or foldable – but full of great flavours & nutrition.
This thin crust chia buckwheat pizza base is full of great flavour, high quality nutrition and has a firm texture resembling that of a regular pizza crust. It is perfect for those who love pizza and want a healthy twist to the usual carb-heavy versions made from refined flours, yeast and unnecessary amounts of grease. This base is actually inspired by my chia seed crackers and is completely free of gluten, grains & yeast.
I like to blitz my nuts & seeds for the crust in my food processor to make it quick. But you can also chop them by hand if you prefer or don’t have a food processor. The finer you chop, the easier the dough will be to work with.
- ¼ cup chia seeds (whole)
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp unrefined whole grain buckwheat flour (gluten free)
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 slices bell pepper, sliced
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tsp oregano, dried
- ½ Spanish onion, sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 oz goats cheddar cheese, grated
- handful arugula leaves (rucola)
- Combine chia seeds, water, buckwheat flour, oregano & salt and mix well until the mixture starts to thicken up.
- Add chopped pine nuts and pumpkin seed.
- Spread out the crust mixture on a piece of parchment paper and form the dough in a round shape. Flatten to about 1 cm for a firm thin crust.
- Bake at 175°C (350°F) for 30-40 minutes until firm.
- Remove from oven and add toppings of your choice and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Grate goat's cheese on top and sprinkle with fresh arugula before serving.
I recommend this fabulous non-stick parchment paper for best results. I love this brand and all their products are completely free from bleach – a common nasty in many parchment papers.