I love making this healthy banana zucchini bread on a cold rainy day and serving it with a steaming hot cup of tea. I love that it is sweetened mostly from ripe bananas and has the added nutrition from zucchini (summer squash), which you cannot taste whatsoever. I often leave out the maple syrup as I find sweet enough without – but that’s up to you depending on how sweet you like it – but make sure to use very ripe bananas. If you’re a newbie to healthy baking, this recipe is perfect proof that healthy can be absolutely delicious – even while dairy free, grain free and refined sugar free. The kids love this bread too and its been one of our favourite weekend breakfasts this winter – especially topped with almond butter and sliced banana.
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 300 gm peeled)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup, honey or other natural sweetener (optional)
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 40 gm (1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 60 gm (1/2 cup) buckwheat flour (or spelt flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 zucchini (about 170 gm) peeled and finely grated and lightly pressed for liquid (I use my hands to get rid of excess liquid)
- pinch salt
- A small handful chopped nuts for topping (I used almonds & walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F)
- In a large bowl, smash bananas with a fork. Add eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, chia seeds & lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Peel and grate the zucchini (I use the medium fine side on a grater) and press with your hands to get rid of excess liquid. Add zucchini to the batter and stir with a spoon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients; coconut flour, buckwheat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture little by little to avoid lumps and mix well using a spoon. Once well combined, pour the batter into a bread tin and top with nuts before placing in the oven.
- Bake 160C (320F) for 45-55 mins until golden brown and firm. Remove from oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or cold.