Eggplant chips are so delicious & some the best veggie chips I’ve had. I never used to cook much with eggplant, but when I made Moussaka for the first time earlier this week, the eggplant slices were so amazing and inspired me to try making them into crispy chips. And for a first try – they turned out surprisingly good!
Eggplant chips make a great healthy appetizer. They can also be served as a side to chicken or lamb dishes & are really good when paired with a tzatziki dip. Nutritionally, eggplant stands out because it is rich in phytonutrients – one of which is chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid is an antioxidant and one of the most powerful free radical scavengers found in plant tissues. Other than destroying the harmful free radicals, it also has anti-cancer, antiviral, anti-LDL (bad cholesterol) & antimicrobial activities. All the more reason to swap these for regular chips, full of unhealthy fats & additives.
|Eggplant Chips|| |
- 1 medium sizes eggplant
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil/olive oil spray
- 1-2 tsp sea salt or garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 150 C/300 F. Cut eggplant into thin slices.
- Place slices on a tea towel & sprinkle with sea salt before leaving them for 20 minutes to draw out the water.
- Dab off the salt & water with the tea towel & transfer the eggplant slices on parchment paper.
- Lightly brush or spray with extra virgin olive oil and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until they are light brown & crispy.