High in vitamin C and sulphur, cabbage is known for boosting our body’s immune defence all while promoting healthy detoxification, digestion & beautiful skin. The sulphur rich compounds in cabbage are often recognised as beautifying nutrients since they effectively promote health hair, skin & nails. Aside from the beauty bits, cabbage also contains a variety of beneficial gut nutrients – including glucosinolates, antioxidants and glutamine – that actively support the health of our stomach and intestinal linings.
Coleslaw dressing is, in my opinion, the most important thing about a coleslaw. It is what makes it either delicious or just plain boring. And this dressing is my favourite part. Creamy, yet dairy free and it gives the coleslaw a great punch. But it isn’t your typical coleslaw dressing made with mayo and oil… instead it gets its creaminess from a detox-friendly combination of almonds and pine nuts mixed with fresh lemon juice, garlic & mustard. It is healthy, full of nutrients and seriously tasty! And the best thing about coleslaw is that it is just as good, if not better, the day after and makes a perfect picnic food.
|Creamy Vegan Coleslaw|| || |
- 2 cups shaved red cabbage
- 2½ cups shaved green cabbage
- 2 medium sized carrots, shredded (optional)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup rocket
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds/cashews
- 3 tbsp pine nuts (alternatively you can use extra almonds/cashews)
- ½-1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup or honey (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½-3/4 cup water
- pinch pepper
- Wash and shred cabbage. Combine with spring onion and carrots (if using) in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a high speed blender, combine all dressing ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste and add water until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the coleslaw salad and combine well using a spoon.
- Add rocket leaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
- Keeps well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.