This smoothie is a health + immune boosting nutritional goldmine that will do wonders for your body, nourishing it from the inside out while kicking flu season in the face! It is fabulous for your skin, circulation and digestive health – and it tastes amazing.
It really has the consistency of a juice more than a smoothie even though it is blended – so you don’t need a juicer to whip this up at home. I love having this smoothie first thing in the morning before any food while the body is still in “cleansing mode” from the night fast. It is also great for the afternoon and I find it really helps overcome any energy slumps and sweet cravings. Aside from its cleansing effects, it is also brimming with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties (read more below).
|Cleansing GLOW Smoothie|| |
- 200 gm organic cucumber
- Juice from 1½ lemons (1/2 cup / 120 ml)
- 1 tbsp goji berries (pre soaked in water for 5 mins)
- 1 knob fresh ginger, grated (I use around 30 gm / 1 oz)
- 1½ cups (360ml) water or 100% raw coconut water - or a mix of both.
- A little raw honey or few drops liquid stevia (OPTIONAL)
- Place goji berries in a little water and let them soak for 5 mins. Drain and place the goji berries in a high speed blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the blender (I used a Vitamix) and blend on high for about a minute.
- Add honey/stevia to taste (if using) and blend again.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge (consume within 24 hours for optimal nutritional benefit).
Ginger is an incredibly root – highly anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants, it helps stimulate digestion and soothes the digestive tract, making it great for those with stomach and digestive troubles. Ginger is also a fabulous for improving circulation and helps give your skin an amazing glow.
Lemon is bitter and nutritious and full of cleansing properties – hence why many cultures have traditionally practised having lemon in warm water first thing in the morning. Personally I get pretty bored with lemon in hot water and find that this juice is a great alternative. Lemon is also packed with vitamin C, is a great immune booster and powerful antioxidant that help protect against cell damage and signs of ageing.
Renowned for being super charged with a variety of powerful antioxidants, goji berries are also high in protein, fibre and vitamin A, E + C. They add a great colour, boost the nutritional benefit and add a subtle sweetness that makes this juice extra tasty.