Broccoli + Leek Green Soup
This green soup is delicious, light and satisfying all at the same time, not to mention amazing for your digestive system, liver and skin.
Spring time is a season where many of us give it an extra nudge in efforts to boost our health and lighten the toxic load after a long winter. While I’m no believer in strict detoxes, juice fasts and the like, I do find myself craving lighter foods as the days get longer and the temperatures warm up. There’s something very uplifting and therapeutic about preparing fresh and colourful spring meals this time of year as the season change.
Vegetable soups are a great way to boost your overall health and support natural detoxification, as they are rich in nutrients that are incredible easy for the body to digest. Efficient digestion means that the body can focus more on repairing and rejuvenating cells, which is crucial for optimal health. And broccoli is particularly great for the liver – the major organ responsible for ridding the body of toxins – as it is incredibly rich in sulphur-rich compounds that boost specific liver detox enzymes that in turn help our body rid itself of toxins more efficiently, allowing you to feel your best!
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 head broccoli + stem, chopped into large florets
- 750 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock (or even better, bone broth)
- salt + pepper to taste
- chilli flakes to top (OPTIONAL)
- Melt coconut oil in a large pot and add garlic, onion + chopped leek. Sauté for a few minutes until they soften and become translucent.
- Add vegetable stock and marjoram and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and add broccoli pieces. Leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the broccoli is semi soft. It is important to not overcook the broccoli here so check it regularly.
- Transfer the soup mix to a high speed blender and blend on high until the soup reaches a smooth consistency. Add salt + pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and top with chill flakes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.