This salad is sweet and savoury all at once and the bitterness from the arugula leaves compliment the sweet roasted beets and figs perfectly. Meanwhile the buttery walnuts add a great crunch as well as a healthy dose of nourishing omega 3 fats, which are filling and absolutely amazing for your skin.
Beets are a great source of betaine – a nutrient which helps protect our cells from the damaging effects of stress and inflammation. They also promote healthy detoxification and are traditionally valued for helping to purify the blood and support overall liver function.
- 2 generous handfuls arugula
- ⅓ cup (330 ml) fresh peas
- 2 fresh figs
- 2 medium beet roots
- 1 ounce feta cheese (optional)
- 40 gm (1½ oz) walnuts
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 fresh fig
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 tbsp water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp honey (optional, depending on how sweet your figs are)
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F)
- Wash, peel and slice the fresh beets and place on an oven rack. Sprinkle with salt + pepper and bake in the oven for about 15 mins until tender. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add salt + pepper to taste and adjust as needed. Pour into a small jar and set aside.
- For the maple glazed walnuts, combine coconut oil, maple syrup and salt and mix well using a spoon. Add the walnuts and stir until they are covered in the oil + maple mixture. Place walnuts on a hot pan and roast for a couple of minutes until fragrant and the syrup starts to set. Transfer to a small bowl and leave to cool.
- Place arugula leaves on two plates. Add peas, sliced figs and roasted beet slices and toss lightly. Top with feta cheese, maple glazed walnuts + fig vinaigrette and add a touch of balsamic glaze to decorate.
- Serve immediately.
- Also great when served with grilled chicken breast.