Happy 2014!! I hope you’ve all gotten off to a great start in the new year.
It’s been very quiet here on Nyoutritious as we’ve been off holidaying in Denmark for a couple of weeks. Without laptops. How good does it feel to be free from any distracting technology sometimes? It’s been an amazing break but it feels good being back in London again – and with a brand new year full of new adventures and goals ahead.
To be honest, I haven’t been very inspired to cook much lately. I guess I’ve been too busy eating a lot of ridiculously amazing Danish food. I mean, the cheese… and liver pates and mackerel… Those danes really know how to make good food, I tell ya. (My poor australian husband is a little grossed out by the liver pates and different fish dishes though, Ha!).
Anyhow, what I have enjoyed in this first week of 2014 is this little side salad featuring green apple, toasted almond slices & fresh shaved parmesan cheese dressed in a garlic and white wine vinaigrette. Very simple, versatile and yet a little different from the salads I typically make.
The toasted pine nuts and almonds add a perfectly savoury crunch to salads and go really well with the fresh apples. While it serves as a great light side to a variety of dishes, I love serving it with grilled chicken fillets.
Although it is a light dish, it is chock full of health promoting benefits. From the greens to the garlic, most of the ingredients here are good for you. Except parmesan. You’re just in there for the flavour… (and parmesan can be substituted for any other type of cheese or be left out altogether).
Garlic is one of my favourite natural healing foods. Its is pretty incredible. It is very rich in a variety of powerful sulphur-containing substances, the most well known compound being Allicin. Allicin is responsible not only for the pungent garlic odour we all love (or not), but also for many of the powerful medicinal properties found in garlic. Garlic is a natural anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial and is great for strengthening the immune system. It effectively helps fight chest infections, coughs and congestion and is a great addition to your daily diet, especially in the winter months. Studies have also shown that garlic is very helpful against heart disease as it has protective effects on the entire cardiovascular system and even help improve cholesterol levels.
|Arugula Apple Salad with Parmesan|| |
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 green apple
- shaved parmesan (optional)
- 1 tbsp almond flakes
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- GARLIC & WHITE WINE VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic salt (or sea salt)
- 2 tsp honey
- pinch white pepper
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, honey, pepper and garlic salt in a bowl and whisk together until completely smooth. Alternatively you can also use a blender.
- Slice garlic cloves before placing them on a hot pan. Roast over medium heat until they are nicely browned and tender.
- Remove garlic cloves from pan and set aside.
- Lightly toast pine nuts and almond slices on a hot pan for about 1-2 mins until fragrant and light brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide arugula leaves between two plates/bowls and add apple slices and roasted garlic. Drizzle with vinaigrette and top the salad with toasted nuts and shaved parmesan. Serve immediately.