Apple crumble is such a great Autumn dessert and is perfect for this time of year with apples in season, filling all the green markets and PYO farms. I love the combination of apples, orange zest and cinnamon, which is so incredibly fragrant and delicious!
The topping is a grain free and gluten free and feature a simple base of shredded coconut, almond flour and walnuts. And if you don’t like using almond flour, you can opt for oats or oat flour instead – both of which work really well too. Since apples are naturally sweet, you won’t have to add much sugar at all, making this a really healthy alternative to other apple cakes and pies. Apples are rich in fibre, and fabulous for maintaining a healthy digestive system and keeping you satisfied. So go get yourself some apples and celebrate October with all the apple goodness!
|Apple Crumble|| |
- 6 medium apples (about 1 kg/2 lbs)
- zest from 1 orange
- 200 ml water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50 gm (1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- 75 gm (3/4 cup) almond flour (alternatively you can use oat flour)
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) walnuts
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Wash and peel (optional) the apples and cut into thin wedges or pieces - making sure to remove the core.
- Place in a pot and add water, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring occasionally, for 15-20 mins until the apples are soft (this may happen sooner/later with other varieties of apples)
- Meanwhile to make the crumble topping, mix shredded coconut, almond flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl. Process walnuts in a food processor until roughly ground and add to the mix. Lastly, add maple syrup and coconut oil and combine well using your hands or a spoon.
- Once the apples are done, pour into a oven proof tin. Then add the crumble mixture on top and spread evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake at 160 C for 30 mins until golden brown and serve warm.