Healthy and easy breakfast ideas are among the most frequent requests I get and this apple + coconut bircher muesli is a delicious and easy take on a healthy and quick breakfast option that doesn’t require too much effort. One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it is so convenient to make ahead and have ready for the morning… Once the base has soaked overnight, all you need to do is add yogurt, grated apple and your favourite toppings – throw it in a jar and you have a healthy and filling breakfast that is easy to bring on the go. You can also easily flavour it to suit the different seasons – top with berries and lemon zest in the summer, and warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins for the colder months.
Nutritionally this bircher recipe is rich in beneficial fibre, and a breakfast high in fibre is so good for you as it helps keep you full throughout the entire morning, keeping your blood sugar levels stable and preventing you from getting too hungry before lunch time (…which then can make it harder to make a healthy choice for lunch – and also makes you more likely to overeat!). The fibre in the oats also help promote healthy cholesterol levels as they contain a particular type of soluble fibre called beta-glucan, which acts like a sponge in the small intestine, binding to cholesterol so it can’t be reabsorbed and instead passes as waste.
This bircher muesli is also rich in prebiotics and therefore great for your gut flora and overall digestive function. It is also a good source of magnesium, plant-based protein and antioxidants, making it a true virtue for healthy morning meals. I love making a large batch of this and serve it up in smaller jars for brunch topped with colourful fruits to make it look extra festive. I hope you enjoy!
|Apple + Coconut Bircher Muesli|| |
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp honey (or other natural sweetener)
- 1-2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp yogurt (coconut yogurt for vegan option)
- 2 apples, grated
- Chopped almonds + desiccated coconut to top
- Combine all the overnight ingredients in a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight (or for at least 2 hours before serving)
- Add grated apple and yogurt and combine using a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a jar and top with chopped almonds, desiccated coconut and a touch of honey.
- Note: the overnight mixture will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.