I not a big cake lover, but one cake I’ve always loved is my grandmother’s apple cake. She’s awesome and so is her apple cake, which is where the inspiration for these apple cashew cupcakes came from. While her original recipe calls for common cake staples like refined flour, sugar & butter, I set out to make something similar that was gluten, grain & dairy free, using one of my favorite flour alternatives; almond meal. Though this recipe is very different from hers, these cupcakes came out surprisingly similar in taste and they have a great moist texture from all the apples, which make up about half the dough.
Aside from the taste, what I love most about these cupcakes is that they are packed with nutrition and are full of protein & fiber. Unlike many other desserts made from refined ingredients, they’ll keep your blood sugar stabile, leaving you satisfied after just one… that’s right, there’s no “sugar high” after eating these, meaning you won’t be left craving more sweets after having one. More over, they are also easy on the digestive system and won’t bloat you up, making them perfect for summer. I prefer the cupcake sizes as they are small, making over indulging less likely, and super easy to bring along to the beach or on a picnic – something I’ve already done a lot this summer.
I love serving these with a little fresh cream or Greek yogurt with lemon zest & vanilla. They also freeze well and are best kept in the refrigerator.
|Apple Cashew Muffins|| |
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium sized apples, chopped/shredded
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Peel and core apples. Shred half and chop the other half into small chunks. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar & lemon zest.
- Add almond flour, bicarb soda & arrowroot powder and mix until smooth.
- Fold in cashews, shredded apple & apple chunks.
- Scoop out mixture into muffin forms and place muffins in the middle of a preheated oven set to 150 C / 300 F for approximately 20-25 minutes. When done, leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving