Apple + Almond Muesli Bars
Homemade healthy muesli bars are great to have on hand for busy days and for kids snacks. I love the fresh taste the dried apple gives these bars. They are free from refined sugars while packed full of wholesome fibre and healthy fats and protein that make them an easy substitute for store bought varieties. I decorated mine with a 85% dark chocolate as it gave them a great look for the photos… but I leave the choice of chocolate topping completely up to you. They are super delicious without as well!
They are very easy to make, but do require a food processor. I have left the protein powder as an optional ingredient as well, as I know not everyone is a fan. I don’t use it much, but when I do, I opt for an organic unsweetened pea or hemp protein powder. The protein powder helps up the protein content, making them extra satisfying without altering the taste.
- 80 gm (approx. 1 heaping cup) dried apple
- 8 soft pitted dates
- ½ cup (120 ml) sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup (240 ml) oats (gluten free if needed)
- pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla powder (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (alternatively you can use honey or agave)
- 3-4 tbsp water (or more if needed)
- 2-3 tbsp protein powder (OPTIONAL - I prefer hemp or pea protein powder)
- 30 gm (1 oz) organic 85% dark chocolate (OPTIONAL - I used Green & Blacks Organic chocolate)
- Place dates, dried apple, maple syrup, salt, vanilla and coconut oil in a food processor with an "S" blade (or a vitamix) and process until it forms a sticky, yet roughly chopped mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process again until a dough-like mixture forms.
- Remove from food processor and form a big round ball using your hands.
- Press the dough onto a piece of non stick parchment paper and flatten into an even square in the size you want your muesli bars to be.
- Fold the parchment paper around the square and place in fridge to set for 30 mins.
- Cut the muesli bars into long squares and place on a tray.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- Once melted, drizzle the chocolate over the muesli bars and place the tray in the fridge for the chocolate to set.
- Serve chilled and store in an air tight container in the fridge.