It’s been a little quiet here on Nyoutritious this past week as my husband and I ventured over to New York City for a week with both kids. It was our first trip traveling as a family of four and it was great. We had an incredible time in the city we called home for over 3 years, and best of all, got to spend time with some of our amazing friends. The only downside is we all caught a bad cold and ended up back in London with the sniffles and jetlag in tow. But hey, sometimes a few days of snuggling on the couch with the kids aint so bad after all.
Continuing our Healthy Holidays theme, I’m celebrating the return of my smell and taste (finally!) with this warm roasted winter dish. Featuring deliciously roasted brussels sprouts, peas and maple glazed pecans and cranberries, this warm salad makes a perfect side dish for your christmas or thanksgiving table.
Nutritional + Health Benefits…
Brussels sprouts offer some fantastic health benefits and are rich in many vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants. They are particularly rich in vitamins C with just 1 cup providing more than 100% of our daily need of this important nutrient. Like most other green vegetables, brussels sprouts are also an amazing source of vitamin K – a potent anti-inflammatory nutrient that helps prevent and counteract inflammation that can result from excessive stress and other environmental and lifestyle related factors, including over the counter medication, poor diet and lack of exercise. Including brussels sprouts into your holiday menu will also benefit your body’s ability to effectively detoxify itself and cope with the extra indulgences that often follow the holiday season. Healthy detoxification is vital to our overall health, and a side dish like this is a great and delicious way to savour the holidays while being mindful of nourishing our overall health the best way possible in the midst of all the festivities.
|Roasted Pea + Brussels Sprouts Salad|| |
- 450 gm (1 lbs) fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- 60 gm (2 oz) fresh peas
- 45 gm (1½ oz) pecans roughly chopped
- 30 gm (1 oz) dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Rinse, peel and halve the brussels sprouts and set aside.
- In a medium sized glass bowl, combine 1 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, a few sprigs rosemary and salt + pepper. Add the halved brussels sprouts and toss to coat until all the sprouts are covered in the oil + herb mixture.
- Place the brussels sprouts on a piece of non-stick parchment paper and place in a pre heated oven. Roast for 15 mins until golden brown.
- While the sprouts are in the oven, combine fresh peas, cranberries and pecans in the same bowl used to coat the sprouts. Add maple syrup, olive oil and salt + pepper and mix well using your hands or a spoon.
- After the sprouts have cooked for 15 mins, remove the tray from the oven and add the pea mixture to the sprouts.
- Place the tray in the oven again and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until brussels sprouts are cooked but not mushy.
- Remove tray from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.